Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP): The O-Shot, Microneedling with PRP and PRP for Hair Restoration
Plastic Surgeon & Medical Spa Serving Bryn Mawr and The Main Line of Philadelphia, PA
The body has natural regenerative capabilities. The medical community has been aware of this for many years and has developed ways to work with the body’s healing tendencies in areas such as sports medicine, dentistry, and orthopedics. Now, regenerative medicine techniques such as the use of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) are being used in plastic surgery and aesthetic medicine. Here at Claytor Noone Plastic Surgery, we are proud to offer the benefits of PRP to patients of our Philadelphia, PA office and surrounding areas.
What is platelet-rich plasma?
Platelet-rich plasma is a product found in your blood, which makes it ideal for regenerative use. One of the roles of PRP is to heal wounds such as cuts or scratches. It works by flooding injuries with a substantial concentration of growth factors. The regenerating cells in PRP include connective tissue and fibroblast growth factors, vascular epithelial growth factors, and insulin-like growth factors. The variety of all growth factors is meaningful because each involves itself in reducing inflammation, regenerating blood vessels, remodeling tissue, and proliferating cells.
How is Platelet-Rich Plasma collected?
We obtain PRP with a quick and easy blood draw, in a sterile vial, which then placed into a centrifuge machine. This spins the vial at a high enough speed to cause red blood cells to separate from the clear, nutrient-dense plasma.
Benefits of Platelet-Rich Plasma
The benefits of PRP lie in the growth factors that aid in tissue regeneration. When the product is inserted into the superficial dermis, it stimulates fibroblasts to produce an abundance of collagen. Collagen is the protein that constructs the foundation for firmer, smoother skin.
The fact that platelet-rich plasma is an organic blood product affords people of all skin tones and types to obtain the rejuvenating effects of PRP treatments. There is no risk of an allergic reaction to one’s own cells and virtually no risk of cross-contamination during processing.
What Our Patients Say
“I was self-conscious about my hair loss, and PRP has not only helped restore hair and my appearance, but most importantly, my confidence. The staff at Claytor Noone Plastic Surgery were exceptional from the start. With just a simple, seamless, and painless process, the results are already showing. The whole experience exceeded expectations. If you are feeling self conscious about your thinning hair, you will not regret having PRP Hair Restoration with Claytor Noone Plastic Surgery.”
– Greg ~ August, 2019
How is Platelet-Rich Plasma used with Microneedling?
Microneedling with PRP is a convenient treatment for reducing numerous signs of aging simultaneously. Treatment is conducted on the skin that has been cleaned and treated with a topical anesthetic. After the skin has become desensitized, a handheld microneedling device is passed over one treatment area at a time. After microchannels have been created, PRP is applied directly over the epidermis. The process continues to adjacent tissue until the entire face has been treated. Microneedling with PRP can also be performed on the neck, chest, and other areas of the body.
How is Microneedling with PRP different than regular microneedling?
Microneedling is an effective method of collagen induction on its own. However, the application of platelet-rich plasma, with all of its growth factors and vascularization effects, enhances the outcome of a single treatment.
What our patients have to say
True professionalism exhibited by all members of the team. Friendly staff, wonderfully friendly surgeon!*
How is Platelet-Rich Plasma used for vaginal rejuvenation?
One of the most difficult and least discussed issues amongst women past childbearing years is our sexual health. Vaginal atrophy, while normal, can be disruptive to a satisfying sexual relationship. Vaginal dryness, pain, and volume loss due to reduced estrogen doesn’t mean that women should simply tolerate these physical challenges and changes. PRP, in a 15-minute treatment, can help restore volume, reduce or eliminate irritation, improve natural lubrication, and enhance the orgasm experience by improving sensitivity to stimulation. Although some patients notice the effect almost immediately, it can take up to 3-4 weeks for others to achieve the full rejuvenating effect. Another benefit of the improved tissue health and volume of the vaginal area is the elimination of stress incontinence. This improvement is immediate for most patients.When PRP is introduced into any human tissue, it stimulates regeneration on a cellular level. Vaginal rejuvenation using PRP can help a woman improve sexual well-being by:
- Stimulating tissue-firming collagen in the vaginal lining
- Decreasing the deflation of the labia minora
- Increasing vaginal lubrication
- Stimulating the numerous nerves in the vaginal area, resulting in the improved orgasmic capability
- Enhancing clitoral stimulation
- Improving vaginal elasticity and moisture for significantly greater comfort during sexual intercourse
What Should I Expect During my PRP Treatment?
Treatment is conducted in our office after a local anesthetic has been applied. After obtaining PRP through a standard blood draw, the nutrient-rich substance is injected in the area of the clitoris and vagina. Patients may feel a slight pinching and warming sensation during treatment. Most do not describe this as painful. After the PRP shot, patients can drive themselves home and resume normal activities right away.
What our patients have to say
“I had the O-Shot at Claytor Noone Plastic Surgery in May of 2019. There were many reasons for me choosing to have it done: “leaking” when I cough, sneeze, laugh or exercise, but an added bonus was a better orgasm! The shot itself is pain-free, there is no downtime and the results for me were immediate. I’d say it was a win-win!” D~ July, 2019
- Does the O-Shot hurt? The injection site is treated with a topical anesthetic so the patient feels pressure, but typically no pain. There is no down time with the injection, although there may be some discharge of PRP immediately following the procedure.
- Can I drive home after the treatment? Yes. PRP injections are performed under local anesthesia. There is no post treatment waiting period, and patients are ready to go home immediately.
- How quickly can I expect the injection to work? It varies with each patient. Some feel improvement immediately, for others, it may take up to 3-4 weeks to feel the full effect.
- Does it really help with urinary incontinence? Yes! Urinary incontinence caused by childbearing and/or age is frustrating for so many women. The effect of the O-Shot is immediate for most. Involuntary leakage is typically eliminated during sneezing and laughter.
- Does the O-Shot help improve vaginal dryness? Yes, the O-Shot can often eliminate the need for over-the-counter lubricants, because you naturally produce vaginal secretions.
- How do I prepare for the blood draw? Be sure to drink plenty of water before you come to the office to ensure you are sufficiently hydrated. 50% of your blood is made up of water, so being hydrated will make it easier for the nurse or technician to locate your veins and draw your blood.
- Can I take my regular medications before the procedure? Yes. Take your medications as you normally would.
- How long does it take to heal from the treatment? There should be little to no downtime due to the procedure.
- How often do I need to have the injection to maintain the effect? Results have shown the PRP injection to be effective for up to a year.
- Are there any limiting factors to receiving treatment? Heavy smokers and those on blood thinners are not candidates for PRP injections.
- Is the nurse or doctor who will be doing the injection certified for this procedure? Yes. Both Dr. Claytor and our nurse are highly trained and certified PRP injectors.